Shrapit Dosha is a negative influence present in your horoscope. This Dosha can cause many harmful effects in your life. However, there are remedial measures you can take to reduce its effects.
Shrapit Dosh Meaning and Its Impact
Every jatak or Kundli has many different facets. Some of these may cause good effects in your life, while others might have a negative influence. A Dosha is a feature in your Kundli that causes bad effects.
What is the Shrapit Dosha?
The Shrapit Dosha usually occurs when the planets Shani and Rahu are present in the same house in your horoscope. It can also be caused when Shani resides in a house from where he can aspect the house of Rahu. This Dosha occurs because of bad deeds done in past lives. Shrapit means “cursed”. So a curse acquired in a past life may also result in Shrapit Dosha.
Shani and Rahu
Shani and Rahu are two of the Navagrahas or nine planets in Hindu astrology.
Shanaishchara, commonly known as Shani, is the son of Surya and Chaya Devi. The word Shanishchara means “one who moves slowly”.
Shani is the planet Saturn. The ancient Hindu astrologers made a pretty accurate calculation of the period of Saturn’s Sidereal Revolution – 10,765 days, just a few days off from the modern calculation of 10, 758 days.
Shani is a male deity with a sword or stick (Danda) in his hand. His vehicle is the crow.
While seven of the navagrahas are physical celestial objects, two are not. Rahu and Ketu are shadow planets or Chaya Grahas. An asura called Swarbhanu posed as a Deva and consumed the Amrita being distributed by Mohini. However, Surya and Chandra identified him as an asura and pointed it out to Mohini who severed his head with the Sudarshan chakra. However, as he had consumed the Amritha, the head and body became immortal entities. The head became Rahu and the tail became Ketu.
Rahu and Ketu became shadow planets and were given the ability to influence the lives of people through their presence in the natal chart. In common belief, it is stated that eclipses are caused by Rahu and Ketu swallowing the Sun and the Moon periodically, in an everlasting feud as these two betrayed them to Mohini.
In Hindu astronomy, Rahu and Ketu actually symbolise the north lunar node and south lunar node respectively, coinciding with the intersection points of the sun and the moon as they travel around the celestial sphere. Eclipses occur on these points.
Shrapit Dosha – When Shani and Rahu Come Together
When Shani and Rahu come together in one house in the horoscope, or when Shani is able to directly affect Rahu’s house, conflicts arise. This is because Shani and Rahu are polar opposites in many ways. Shani is seen as the Lord of Justice among the planets. He lives within rules and limits. Rahu, on the other hand, is a rule-breaker, he wants to test the limits at all times.
The Effects of Shrapit Dosha
As there is an intrinsic conflict of viewpoints between these planets, Shrapit Dosha also results in conflicts and disagreements, among other effects:
- Delay in marriages
- Conflict within family
- Conflict between a married couple, frequent quarrels and disagreements
- Could lead to divorce
- Possibility of death of a spouse
- Difficulty in conceiving and having a child, frequent miscarriages
- Problems with the health of children
- Education and career growth of the native might also be affected
Some Effective Shrapit Dosha Remedies
You can try the following to mitigate the effects of this dosha:
- Try to control your anger, avoid quarrels
- Take good care of your parents and other elderly people
- Offer help to the poor and others in need, without expecting any gains
- Each Saturday, make balls of cooked rice with ghee and offer these to cows and fish
- Perform Kanyadaan or marriage of your daughter
- Provide financial assistance to parents who are unable to perform the marriage of their daughter
- Perform Rudrabhishek in the name of your ancestors
- Consecrate a Shani Yantra by chanting the Shani Mantra “Om Sam Shanaishwaraya Namaha” several times. Keep this yantra in your home
- Worship Lord Shiva, Hanuman, or Sri Ram
- Chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra at least 1,25,000 times, over several days or months, This is a powerful remedy that can even result in Shrapit dosha cancellation.
The Shrapit Dosha Mantra
The Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra for relief from Shrapit Dosha:
Om Trayambakam yajamahey
Chant this shrapit dosha mantra regularly, and also perform all the other suggested remedies. You will definitely be able to reduce the impact of the Shrapit Dosha in your life.