No understanding of Vedic astrology is complete without delving into the concept of Manglik Dosha. Caused by different positions of Mars (Mangal) in different houses of the horoscope, Manglik Dosha has several ill-effects. It is a particularly important concern at the time of marriage, as it can cause severe problems in the life of the individual. Several remedies help ensure that Manglik Dosha does not affect the union.
What is Manglik Dosha?
Manglik Dosha is a Hindu astrological belief that is prevalent across India and Nepal. It is one of the most infamous doshas in Vedic astrology. Other names for it are ‘Kuja’, ‘Bhom’ or ‘Angarakha’ Dosha. It can affect both men and women equally. Many Hindus misunderstand the exact effects of this, but the Manglik Dosha meaning is actually quite simple. According to this belief, an individual born under the planet Mars (Mangal) will have bad fortune and a delayed marriage. He/she is also likely to have an unstable marriage with someone who does not have this Dosha. This is because an individual with this Dosha typically has an erratic, aggressive nature. Astrologers regard Mars as the cruelest planet and Mangal Dosha thus creates significant personality problems for the individual.
How does it occur?
Manglik Dosha occurs specifically when Mars manifests in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th and 12th houses of the individual’s birth chart. Mars can also become malefic when it is in conjunction with other malefic and inauspicious planets. It is a fiery planet and a person with Manglik Dosha inherits this fiery trait. Mars also represents ego, arrogance and unpredictable temper. When Mars is the ruling planet in one’s horoscope, he/she tends to be hot-tempered and egotistical. Such a person thus finds it difficult to compromise with his/her partner. For this reason, a marriage where one of the partners has Manglik Dosha may face many problems. Several remedies are available to combat this dosha and ease out the difficulties. Another common effect of Manglik Dosha is financial losses and career setbacks for the individual.
Effect of Manglik Dosha
Manglik Dosha manifests when Mangal (Mars) appears in certain houses of the birth chart. Each manifestation impacts the individual in a slightly different way. However, in all the cases there is frequent risk of bad temper and conflict. We can describe the different effects of Manglik Dosha as follows:
When Mangal manifests in the first house, it leads to direct negative consequences on marriage as the first house is the ‘house of the spouse’. Someone with this Dosha is likely to have a marriage filled with conflicts and it can even lead to physical assault. Many such marriages end in separation. A first-house manifestation also affects the 4th, 7th and 8th houses.
A person with Mangal in the second house will also have a troubled marriage, often leading to divorce and later a second marriage.
Mars in the fourth house denotes frequent professional and financial problems. The individual will constantly be unhappy in his/her job and will hence frequently change jobs. He/she could also be at risk from fires or chemical accidents. A fourth-house manifestation also impacts the 7th, 10th and 11th houses. An affliction in the 10th house could lead to conflicts with the individual’s father. An affliction in the 11th house heightens the possibility of losses due to theft.
Mangal in the seventh house will manifest as a temper that is easily provoked. The individual will often flare up over small matters, thus leading to domestic conflicts. A seventh-house manifestation also affects the 1st, 2nd and 10th houses.
An individual with Mangal in the eighth house will have an erratic temper. He/she will also be prone to accidents. Such an individual typically has a high sex drive and will thus need a partner who can complement that. An eighth-house manifestation also impacts the 2nd, 3rd and 11th houses. An affliction in the 3rd house typically results in frequent confrontations with siblings.
Mars in this house manifests in the form of a restless, dissatisfied nature. The individual is hence typically aggressive towards others, and may end up indulging in extra-marital affairs. Such a person also tends to be careless with money. He/she may suffer from illnesses like hypertension, acidity or blood diseases. A twelfth-house manifestation also affects the 3rd, 6th and 7th houses.
Marriage Remedies for Manglik Dosha
Manglik Dosha is one of the most notorious doshas in Vedic astrology. Many Hindus hold wrong notions about its effects. However, even ancient astrology texts disagree on the best Manglik Dosha remedy. While Manglik Dosha can have serious effects on marriage, certain remedies automatically cancel out the Dosha.
- If the individual is born on a Tuesday, it nullifies the Dosha.
- If an individual’s first house is Aries and Mangal resides in the first house, it cancels the Manglik Dosha because Aries is just another manifestation of Mangal.
- A bride and groom can have a successful marriage if both have a Manglik Dosha.
- An individual with Manglik Dosha can have a stable marriage if he or she first marries either a tree (peepal or banana), a kumbh (clay pot) or an image of Lord Vishnu (made of silver or gold).
- Astrologers also advise individuals with this Dosha to get married before the age of 28, as the dosha increases in intensity after the individual completes 28 years.
General Remedies for Manglik Dosha
Hindus who have a Manglik Dosha in their birth charts need to channelise the energy of Mars into the right areas in order to reduce conflict. They can mitigate the harmful effects in their own lives even before marriage by following some simple remedies.
- Appeasing Lord Ganesha is a good way to bring stability and better fortune into one’s life. Devotees can offer jaggery and red flowers to Lord Ganesha while reciting ‘Om Gan Ganpataye Namah’ 108 times.
- If the individual is healthy enough, he or she can donate blood on Tuesdays on a quarterly basis.
- Observing a fast on Tuesdays is also a good remedy. The individual should consume only milk or fruit juice and eat only toor dal (split pigeon dal).
- Ashwatha Vivah, Kumbh Vivah or Vishnu Vivah are all effective ways to cancel out the Dosha before getting married. In these situations, the object in question (a tree, a pot or an image of Lord Vishnu) takes on all the negative energy that the individual with Manglik Dosha emanates. After the ceremony, the individual annuls the marriage. He or she does so by breaking the pot, cutting the tree or submerging the idol in water. Afterwards, the individual can marry a non-Manglik partner and enjoy a normal married life.
- The individual should recite prayers such as Hanuman Chalisa, Gayatri Mantra and Mangal Chandika Stotra every day. Chanting the Navgraha Mantra also helps, as this mantra appeases the wrongly placed Mangal.
Hindus can also consider the following remedies as effective solutions for Manglik Dosha.
- One of the best ways to mitigate Manglik Dosha is by visiting a Navgraha temple. Several temples in Tamil Nadu pay homage to Lord Mangal. Individuals should visit these temples on Tuesdays for the best effect. They can also visit a Hanuman temple and pay homage by offering vermilion and lighting up a ghee lamp.
- Hindus regard making contributions on Tuesday as a good way to please Mars. Some of the items they commonly offer are red silks, swords, knives, wheat breads and masoor dal. Feeding sweets to birds is another auspicious act.
- The individual can also wear a gold ring with a red gemstone on his or her right hand ring finger. This stone captures the positive powers of Maross and thus wards off the negative energy. However, he or she should consult a reputed astrologist before opting for this.
While Manglik Dosha does undoubtedly have serious consequences, devotees can follow some simple remedies to combat its ill-effects. Those with Manglik Dosha can easily have a happy married life as long as they follow the remedies carefully.