Rashi – The limbs of Vishnu
Zodiac of 360º is divided into 12 equal parts of 30º each and these are rasis (signs). Different rasis have different properties and they stand for different things and exhibit different characteristics.
Rashi’s are also called the Limbs of Vishnu and the whole zodiac is nothing but a manifestation of Lord Vishnu’s body.
Aries is the head. Taurus is the face. Gemini is the arms. Cancer is the heart. Leo is the stomach. Virgo is the hip. Libra is the space below navel. Scorpio is the private parts. Sagittarius is the thighs. Capricorn is the knees. Aquarius is the ankles. Pisces is the feet.
Application: For example, we should pay attention to Aries for analyzing Head related problems/Headaches/ Head Injury etc and Pisces for analyzing problems related to feet and so on.
Description of Rashis:
Odd and Even
(1) Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagitarious and Aquarious are called odd rasis or vishama rasis or oja rasis. They are also known as male rasis.
(2) Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpion, Capricorn and Pisces are called even rasis or sama rasis or yugma rasis. They are also known as female rasis.
Application: This division is used in some dasas and in the determination of the sex of children.
Odd-footed and Even-footed
(1) Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Libra, Scorpio and Sagitarious are called odd-footed rasis or vishamapada rasis or ojapada rasis.
(2) Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Capricorn, Aquarious and Pisces are called even-footed rasis or samapada rasis or or yugmapada rasis.
This division is used in some dasas.
Movable, Fixed and Dual
(1) Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn are known as chara rasis or movable rasis. They are ruled by Brahma, the Creator. Their nature is to move and to be dynamic.
(2) Taurus, Leo, Scorpion and Aquarious are known as sthira rasis or fixed rasis. They are ruled by Shiva, the Destroyer. Their nature is to be stable and constant.
(3) Gemini, Virgo, Sagitarious and Pisces are known as dwiswabhava rasis or dual rasis. They are ruled by Vishnu, the Sustainer. They are stable sometimes and dynamic sometimes.
Rasis & Five Elements
The world is made up of 5 elements – fire, water, air, earth and ether.
- Water is a substance with a flexible state.
- Air is a substance with a varying state.
- Earth is a substance with a solid state.
- Fire is a substance that transforms the state of things.
- Ether is something that is present everywhere.
Every thought, action, emotion, happening etc in the universe is represented by these five elements.
For ex: A Singer may exhibit a combination of watery and Airy state. A
sudden change of behavior may exhibit Airy and Feiry state etc.
Aries, Leo and Sagitarious are called agni rasis or fiery rasis. Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn are called bhoo rasis or earthy rasis. Gemini, Libra and Aquarious are called vaayu rasis or airy rasis.
Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are called jala rasis or watery rasis. The 5th element of aakaasa or ether is present in every rasi.
Application: Tenth house shows the career in one’s chart and for example if the 10th house of a particular native is in the Fiery house -there could be chances that he/she will be working in a factory near the furnace etc.
If the tenth house is in a watery sign – he/she could be in Merchant Navy etc.
Pitta, Vaata and Kapha
Pitta or bilious nature is a combination of the elements of fire and water. It shows things that result in transformation from one state to another in a system. In a human body, for example, it may show digestion etc.
Vaata or windy nature is a combination of the elements of air and ether. It shows things that move in and out of a system. In a human body, for example, it may show breathing etc.
Kapha or phlegmatic nature is a combination of the elements of earth and water. It shows things that bind a system together. In a human body, for example, it may show bones, muscles, fat etc. It shows things that give a structure to a system.
Ar, Le and Sg are of pitta nature. Ta, Vi and Cp are of vaata nature. Cn, Sc and Pi are of kapha nature.
Ge, Li and Aq are of a mixed nature.
Sattwa, Rajas and Tamas
Gunas or Qualities are of three types and are called trigunas.
- Sattwa is for purity and is a quality that gives truthfulness and purity.
- Rajas is for energetic and passionate.
- Tamas or darkness is a quality and makes one depraved.
For Ex: Gandhiji exhibited Sattwa Guna and Non- Violence during the Indian Freedom Struggle.
Rakshashas like Bhandasura, Ravana, Mahishasura etc did exhibit tamasic qualities in their time span in life and stories.
Sri Rama and Yudhister are good examples of Rajasic and Sattwic qualities.
(1) Saattwik signs– Cn, Le, Sg, Pi.
(2) Raajasik signs – Ar, Ta, Li, Sc.
(3) Taamasik signs – Ge, Vi, Cp, Aq.
(1) Ar, Le and Sg show east.
(2) Ta, Vi and Cp show south. (3) Ge, Li and Aq show west.
(4) Cn, Sc and Pi show north.
- Aries shows blood-red color.
- Ta shows white.
- Ge shows grass green.
- Cn shows pale red.
- Le shows white.
- Virgo is variegated.
- Libra shows black.
- Scorpio shows reddish brown
- Sagittarius shows the color of the husk of grass.
- Capricorn is variegated.
- Aquarius shows brown color.
- Pisces shows the color of fish.
Day and Night
(1) Ar, Ta, Ge, Cn, Sg and Cp are night time rasis – they are strong during the night time. They are nishaa rasis.
(2) Le, Vi, Li, Sc, Aq and Pi are daytime rasis – they are strong during the daytime. They are divaa rasis.
There are two rashis owned by a planet, one is a day sign and one is a night sign. Moon governs all the nishaa rasis and Sun governs all the divaa rasis.
Rising of rasis
Some rasis rise with their head. They are called “Seershodaya rasis”. Some rasis rise with their feet. They are called “Prishthodaya rasis”.
(1) Ge, Le, Vi, Li, Sc, Aq are Seershodaya rasis.
(2) Ar, Ta, Cn, Sg, Cp are Prishthodaya rasis.
(3) Pi rises with both its head and feet.
It is said that planets in Seershodaya rasis give their results in the first half of their dasas and planets in Prishthodaya rasis give their results in the second half of their dasas.
Varna or Class
There basically 4 varnas or classes – (1) Brahmanas, (2) Kshatriyas, (3) Vaisyas and (4) Sudras. These are classified basis the Karma or work.
- Brahmanas pursue knowledge and work as priests or ministers.
- Kshatriyas are warriors and they become kings, army chiefs and soldiers.
- Vaisyas are the traders and suppliers of various services.
- Sudras execute various physical tasks.
(1) Brahmanas (scholars) are represented by watery signs – Cn, Sc, Pi.
(2) Kshatriyas (warriors) are represented by fiery signs – Ar, Le, Sg.
(3) Vaisyas (traders) are represented by earthy signs – Ta, Vi, Cp.
(4) Sudras (workers) are represented by airy signs – Ge, Li, Aq.
|Rasi No.||Degree||Rasi / Sign||Lords of Rasi|
|1||0||30||Mesh / Aries||Mars|
|2||30||60||Vrishabh / Taurus||Venus|
|3||60||90||Mithun / Gemini||Mercury|
|4||90||120||Kark / Cancer||Moon|
|5||120||150||Simha / Leo||Sun|
|6||150||180||Kanya / Virgo||Mercury|
|7||180||210||Tula / Libra||Venus|
|8||210||240||Vrishchik / Scorpio||Mars|
|9||240||270||Dhanu / Sagittarius||Jupiter|
|10||270||300||Makar / Capricorn||Saturn|
|11||300||330||Kumbh / Aquarius||Saturn|
|12||330||360||Meen / Pieces||Jupiter|