The importance of the Sun in Vedic astrology is immense. Sun is also the very essence of our life. As it is the head of the solar system, it is one of the most powerful and authoritative celestial body. According to the Vedic texts, Sun is the father of the planetary system.
The Sun in Vedic astrology represents authority, power and ego. It also represents self-esteem, pride, spirituality and soul. Due to this, the Sun is the atmakaraka, the one which signifies your soul. Rahu and Ketu are the only two planets that can eclipse the Sun.
Worshipping the Sun God
In India, worshipping the Sun god is not a new practice. Sun god is the life-giver. Hence, people celebrate many festivals dedicated to Surya Bhagawan. Some of these festivals are Chhath Puja, Makar Sankranti and Samba Dashami. Many temples worship the Sun god as their main deity, such as the Konark Sun temple in Odisha and Modhera Sun temple in Gujarat.
Importance of the Sun in Vedic Astrology
It is a well-known fact that the Sun is a star. But, the Sun in Vedic astrology is a planet, as it has an effect on human beings. According to Vedic astrology, if the Sun is powerful in your birth chart, it will give power, position and authority. One’s career will be smooth if the Sun is powerful in the natal chart.
The Sun and its exalted position
The Sun has different positions in the natal chart. It differs from person to person. According to popular belief, exalted Sun in the birth chart is extremely powerful. The Sun is exalted in the first zodiac sign, which is Aries. When the Sun is exalted in the horoscope, the person becomes powerful, dynamic, authoritative and dominant. The person will also possess leadership qualities and be courageous. When in Aries, the Sun makes the person the centre of attention.
The Sun in Vedic astrology and its debilitated position
When the Sun is weak in one’s birth chart, they may not have a successful career or profession. The Sun is weak in the zodiac sign Libra. When the Sun is weak in a zodiac sign, the person may experience an unsuccessful career. One may also contract skin and eye diseases.
The Sun and its house
According to Vedic astrology, every planet has it own house in the zodiac signs. Similarly, the Sun has its house in Leo. When the Sun is in Leo, the person will be independent, forceful, dynamic, commanding and stubborn. According to popular belief, the person will be knowledgeable and will lead a comfortable life.
Afflicted Sun in the horoscope
If the sun is afflicted in a person’s horoscope, it will make their life hell. One may not get the due credit for the tasks they perform, or they may not be on good terms with people. The sun usually gets afflicted by the malefic effects of Mars, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu. If the sun is afflicted in a person’s birth chart, they will suffer.
The Sun in Vedic astrology and the season cycle
The Sun takes one year to complete its zodiac cycle. In every zodiac sign, it says for a month. The Sun’s transit from Capricorn to Gemini is Uttarayan (Northward Movement) and transit from Cancer to Sagittarius is Dakshinayan (Southward Movement). Due to this movement of the Sun, the season cycle occurs. When the Sun inhibits Capricorn and Aquarius, it is Winter; when it is in Pisces and Aries, the season is Spring; in Taurus and Gemini, the season is Summer; when in Cancer and Leo, it is Monsoon; in Virgo and Libra, it is Autumn, and when the Sun is in Scorpio and Sagittarius, it is the period between autumn and winter.
The Sun and its conjunction with other planets
When the Sun is in conjunction with another planet, the effect are either beneficial or malefic.
- When the Sun and Moon are in conjunction, it makes the person determined and resolute. The person will be very energetic and will accomplish what they want.
- When the Sun is in conjunction with Mercury, it makes a person very intelligent, which will benefit the person in many areas of life.
- When there is a conjunction between the Sun and Mars, it leads to Angarak dosha. A person with this dosha acts impulsively and has anger issues.
- The conjunction between the Sun and Jupiter creates a powerful spiritual effect. According to Vedic astrology, the Sun is the soul and Jupiter is one’s inner-self. Due to this, the person takes an interest in religion and spirituality.
- When there is a conjunction between the Sun and Venus, it is extremely beneficial. The person will be energetic and enthusiastic. But, he/she may also become easily dissatisfied.
- The conjunction between the Sun and Saturn leads to Shrapit Dosha. During this phase, the native will face a lot of struggles in life. Despite the fact that the Sun and Saturn are father and son, they share a bitter relationship.
- When the Sun and Rahu are in conjunction, it leads to Grahana Yoga and Pitra dosha. The person will undergo a lot of difficulty. During this phase, a person’s self-esteem will also reduce.
Importance of Sun sign in Vedic astrology
The Sun sign is the zodiac sign in which the Sun is placed in the natal chart. When the Sun is in different houses in the zodiac sign, its effects change accordingly.
- Sun in Aries: The person is very creative and an idealist. When the Sun is in the right place, the person becomes a good leader. However, when the Sun is afflicted, the he/she can cause a lot of damage.
- Sun in Taurus: The native born under this sign is blessed with the boon of marriage and children.
- Sun in Gemini: People born with the Sun in this sign are very compassionate and value friendship. They are liberals and perform well in groups.
- Sun in Cancer: These people have extremely dedicated and hard-working. They are usually authoritative.
- Sun in Leo: People born with in the Sun in this sign are very proud. If the Sun is in the right position in Leo, they can show restraint. However, they can also be manipulative.
- Sun in Virgo: People born under this sign aim for perfection and are very dedicated.
- Sun in Libra: These people are materialistic. They seek success and wealth. They also like challenges.
- Sun in Scorpio: The people born under this sign love to take on new challenges. They are also very helpful and try to bring about changes.
- Sun in Sagittarius: People born with the Sun in this sign are very intelligent. They excel in what they choose and fight for justice.
- Sun in Capricorn: These people are diligent and tough. If the Sun is in the right position in Capricorn, the native will dedicate themselves to their goals. However, if the Sun is in the wrong place, the native can be uncompromising.
- Sun in Aquarius: People born with the Sun in Aquarius are creative and skillful. They are very diplomatic and sensible.
- Sun in Pisces: The native is very clever, calm and creative. They are also dreamers and they tend to take risks to achieve something.
The Sun in Vedic astrology and its effects in different houses
- 1st House: The people with the sun in the 1st house are headstrong and have a fragile ego.
- 2nd House: The people with the sun in their 2nd house are materialistic and thrifty. They can also become very wealthy.
- 3rd House: When the sun is in the 3rd house, the person will be very courageous and accomplish their goals.
- 4th House: When the Sun is the 4th house, the person will have a lot of emotional issues. There might be an unhappy atmosphere at his/her home.
- 5th House: The people with the sun in the 5th house will be creative and have a knack for business.
- 6th House: When the sun is in the 5th house, the native will be very victorious and accumulate wealth.
- 7th House: The ruler of the 7th house is Libra. It is in this zodiac sign that the sun is debilitated.
- 8th House: This house deals with longevity and finances. The person born under this house will have a lot of emotional issues.
- 9th House: When the sun is in the 9th house, the native will be drawn towards spirituality, teaching and religion.
- 10th House: The people born with the sun in the 10th house will have a good and challenging career.
- 11th House: People with the sun in the 11th house will find lucrative career opportunities which will give them financial gains and power.
- 12th House: A person with the Sun in the 12th house will be introverted by nature and are very reserved. However, they will be happy in their isolation.