After the development and compilation of Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra, Sage Parashara disseminated its knowledge to his son, Ved Vyas and various other disciples. One of his many disciples was Rishi Jaimini. In fact, Rishi Jaimini felt that there were few defects in Parashara astrology. Therefore, he did his set of researches and propounded his own type of astrology called Jaimini Jyotish.
What is Jaimini Jyotish?
It is that type of astrology found by Rishi Jaimini. Moreover, Jaimini astrology is one of the truly great Vedic astrology traditions, capable of giving great depth of information for astrologers. In essence, Jaimini produces a bunch of information which can give extraordinarily accurate predictions, through a different format of basic astrological information.
Maharishi Jaimini was a disciple of Rishi Ved Vyas, the son of Rishi Parasara. He taught the doctrines of Parasara according to Hora Shastra to his disciples. Therefore, Jaimini Jyotish tends to sound similar to Parashri Jothishi but if you go deeper there are many differences in their prediction style.
Principles of Jaimini Jyotish
There are two basic principles of Jaimini Jyotish and they are also the varying factors between Jaimini and Parashari astrology. These are:
- Signs and not planets aspect of other signs. This influences the events that take place in the life of an individual.
- Aries aspects Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius
- Taurus aspects Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn
- Cancer aspects Scorpio, Aquarius and Taurus
- Leo aspects Libra, Capricorn, and Aries
- Libra aspects Aquarius, Taurus, and Leo
- Scorpio aspects Capricorn, Aries, and Cancer
- Capricorn aspects Taurus, Leo, and Scorpio
- Aquarius aspects Aries, Cancer, and Libra
- Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces aspect each other
2. Mahadasha- Jaimini uses Rashi Mahadasha, in contrast to the planetary Mahadasha used in Parashari astrology.
Besides, fixed signs aspect cardinal signs, and cardinal signs aspect fixed signs (except for adjacent signs). Additionally, m
Karakas In Jaimini Jyotish
In Parasara astrology, planets have their natural karakas. However, in Jaimini astrology, the karakas can be any of the planets. It divides planets into different categories on the basis of their degrees. Besides, a planet can become the Karak element of any house(excluding the North and South Lunar Node — Rahu and Ketu).
There are seven karakas which have high to a low longitudinal degree, regardless of the sign placement.
The karakas are, in descending order:-
- Atma karaka (the indicator of self),
- Amaya karaka (the indicator of career);
- Bharti karaka (the indicator of siblings and father);
- Matri karaka (the indicator of mother and education);
- Putri karaka (the indicator of children, intelligence and creativity);
Gnatikaraka (the indicator of strife, disease, and spiritual sadhana);
- Lastly, Dara karaka – the indicator of marriage.
This karakas is of extreme importance in judging a chart. Es
Padas are indicators in the signs. For example, if you are looking for the marriage pada in a chart. The seventh house is the marriage house in a standard chart. Besides, if you have a Libra ascendant. Aries is the seventh house in this chart. The ruler of the seventh house is therefore Mars. Then assume that Mars is in the sign Capricorn. This sign is ten signs away from Aries. You then count ten signs from Capricorn to get the pada for marriage matters. Thus, the sign Libra is the marriage indicator for this chart.
Jaimini talks of the use of sign Mahadasha. Besides, Chara, Sthira and Shoola Dashas here are approximately 44 Mahadasha in Jaimini astrology.
Moreover, the Dasha start from whichever sign is in the lagna. So, for a Libra ascendant, Libra will be the first Mahadasha.
Hence, the sequence of the Dasha is as follows:
Aries Lagna — Aries to Pisces.
Taurus Lagna — Taurus to Gemini
Gemini Lagna — Gemini to Cancer
Cancer Lagna — Cancer to Leo
Leo Lagna — Leo to Cancer
Virgo Lagna — Virgo to Leo
Libra Lagna — Libra to Virgo
Scorpio Lagna — Scorpio to Sagittarius
Sagittarius Lagna — Sagittarius to Capricorn
Capricorn Lagna — Capricorn to Aquarius
Aquarius Lagna — Aquarius to Capricorn
Pisces Lagna — Pisces to Pisces
To determine the length of the Mahadasa you have to look at the placement of the ruler of the signs, and count from the sign in the question either forwards or backward. In fact, if a planet is in its own sign, it is assigned twelve years.
Difference between Jaimini And Parashara
- In Parashari astrology we use Sthira (fixed) Kara (Significator). On the other hand, Jaimini astrology Chara (moveable) Karaka is used. The Karaka can vary from chart to chart.
- Jaimini system uses the aspects of the sign instead of planets.
- Movable Rashi’s aspects the Fixed Rashi’s except the adjacent one.
- In addition, fixed Rashi’s aspects the Movable Rashi’s except the adjacent one.
- Dual Rashi’s aspects the other Dual Rashi’s